Dec 10, 2023  
2022-2023 Online Catalog 
2022-2023 Online Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admissions and Registration

Admissions and Registration



Welcome to Union County College Student Services Center, where we offer a wide variety of services for new, returning, and transfer students. Our qualified staff can assist students with all of the resources to enroll and be successful in one convenient location on each campus including:

  • Applying for Admissions
  • Academic Advisement
  • Registration for Classes
  • Financial Aid and Scholarship Assistance
  • College Placement Processes and Testing
  • Disability Support Services
  • Student Accounts and Billing
  • Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF)
  • Veteran’s Benefits
  • International Student Visas

Your journey begins here and the friendly and helpful staff in the Student Services Center are available to guide you every step of the way. No appointments are necessary.

Admissions Policy

Admission to Union County College is open to all high school graduates, those holding high school equivalency certificates, or those persons eighteen years of age or older.

Application Procedures

Applicants must complete the Union County College Application for Admission. The application for credit admission can be obtained through the College website,

Degree Programs

It is highly recommended that students submit the following upon applying for admission to the college:

1. Official high school transcript/G.E.D.

2. Official college transcript, if applicable.

3. Scholastic Aptitude Test, if available.

It is recommended that applicants to all degree programs take the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). The SAT is a test given by Acceptance to Union County College programs are not based on SAT scores. Certain SAT scores may exempt students from the Directed Self-Placement Questionnaire and may be required to qualify for selected scholarships at Union County College. It is the student’s responsibility to register for the SAT exam and have the final scores provided to Union County College. Students may visit directly to review registration information (Union County College CEEB Code is 2921).

4. After submission of the Union County College application and before enrolling in courses, completion of the Directed Self-Placement (DSP) Questionnaire is required for placement in English and mathematics, unless a student meets the exemption criteria. Students may also be asked to take an ESL test.  The results of the test will not affect admission to the College (see Testing and Placement).

5. Immunization Records: The State of New Jersey requires all full-time students born after December 31, 1956 to be immunized against measles, mumps, Rubella and Hepatitis B, or prove that they meet one of the exemption requirements. Students must bring a copy of a certificate from a doctor or medical center showing proof of inoculations to the Admissions Office on the Cranford, Elizabeth, or Plainfield campus.

6. Candidates for programs leading to an associate degree are advised to complete 19 units of high school credit distributed as follows:

  a. English 4 units
  b. Lab Science*** 2 units
  c. Mathematics* 3 units
  d. History 3 units
  e. Foreign Language** 2 units
  f. Electives**** 5 units

* Candidates for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) programs are expected to have taken elementary and intermediate algebra, plane geometry, and pre-calculus.

** Optional for students entering programs other than liberal arts.

*** Engineering and physical science students should include physics and chemistry; health technologies students include biology and chemistry.

**** Chosen from foreign languages, social studies, science or mathematics. If a student does not have these high school units, non-credit prerequisite courses offered by the College may be required by the selected program of study.

7. Health Science program applicants must apply within the required program deadline date. The programs include Practical Nursing, Physical Therapist Assistant, Paramedic, JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools of Nursing and Medical Imaging, and Trinitas School of Nursing/RWJBH (see Admission to Health Science Programs).

8. JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools of Nursing and Medical Imaging applicants must apply directly to the JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools of Nursing and Medical Imaging; all academic processing will be handled through the Schools.

9. The Trinitas School of Nursing/RWJBH application for admission must be submitted directly to

10. Applicants with a disability are urged to seek an interview with the Coordinator of Services for Students with Disabilities. The Coordinator is located in the Student Services Center at the Cranford Campus and may be available upon appointment at Plainfield and Elizabeth campuses.

Testing and Placement

After admission to the College and before enrolling in classes, students must complete the Directed Self-Placement (DSP) Questionnaire or meet exemption criteria. The DSP Questionnaire is used to determine whether students are prepared for college-level coursework in mathematics and English. While the results of the DSP Questionnaire will not affect admission to the College, it may indicate the need for required developmental courses which must be completed before enrolling in certain college-level coursework.

Students whose native language is not English or who did not attend grammar school or high school in the United States may have to take the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESL) Test. 

In order to complete the DSP Questionnaire or ESL Test, a student must have a College identification number and, if testing, present a form of photo identification. There are no appointments to take the ESL test; students may do so on a walk-in basis during the Testing Center’s open hours. Please see the Testing Center’s website for current hours and locations:

Directed Self-Placement into higher level Math for STEM majors

Students may also self-place into higher level math using the Mathematics Directed Self-Placement Questionnaire second set of questions. This may allow students to progress through their program at a faster rate.  Placement into specified advanced mathematics courses may require approval from the Dean of STEM.  

Union County College requires that the following students complete the Directed Self-Placement (DSP) Questionnaire for English and mathematics: 

  1. Full-time and part-time freshmen entering Union County College.
  2. Students who have not already completed the DSP Questionnaire, but who register for courses that would result in the accumulation of 12 or more credits.

Students who meet the following criteria may be exempt from completing the Directed Self-Placement (DSP) Questionnaire for English and/or mathematics*:  

  1. A student who graduated from high school within the past 5 years with an unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher and completed 4 years of English and 3 years of mathematics may be exempt from completing the DSP Questionnaire. The College reserves the right to evaluate placement upon review of the student’s high school transcript.
  2. A student who presents SAT (Scholastic Achievement Test from the College Board) scores of at least 450 in Critical Reading and/or at least 500 in mathematics will be exempt from the appropriate DSP Questionnaire.
  3. A student who presents ACT scores of 22 or higher in Reading and 18 or higher in English; ACT score of 20 or higher in mathematics will be exempt from the appropriate DSP Questionnaire.
  4. A student who presents PARCC scores of 4 or higher in English/Language Arts and/or mathematics will be exempt from the appropriate DSP Questionnaire.
  5. A student who has earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. college will be exempt from the DSP Questionnaire.
  6. A student who is transferring in credits for college-level English composition or mathematics from an accredited U.S. college with a grade of C or better will be exempt from the appropriate DSP Questionnaire. 
  7. A student who has satisfactorily completed developmental courses in English and/or elementary algebra at another college may be exempt from the appropriate DSP Questionnaire. 

*Students will be required to submit official score reports or transcripts to the College based on the specific exemption. 

To learn more about the Testing Center, contact us at

International Student Applicants

Union County College welcomes applicants from over 40 nations around the world and we are proud of the diversity of our student body. International applicants must follow the same application process to the college as all other prospective students. The College is authorized by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to issue the Form I-20 through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to individuals wishing to study in the U.S. in F-1 student status.  F-1 status is for full-time academic and language students who are pursuing a degree in the U.S. The Form I-20 is issued by a Designated School Official (DSO) at the college for those international applicants who have been admitted to the college. To obtain a Form I-20, prospective students must provide the following documents:

  • I-20 Application Form
  • Copy of acceptance letter
  • Evidence of payment of the $250 non-refundable deposit
  • Evidence of readily available funds to cover Union County College Tuition and Fees, and living expenses
  • Affidavit of Support (if you are not self-funded)
  • Copy of a valid passport (valid for at least 6 months in the future)
  • Copy of electronic I-94 card, if currently in the US 
  • For prospective students applying from abroad who do not have English as their first language, a satisfactory performance on the Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for applying for the Form I-20. A minimum TOEFL score of 30 on the Internet Based Test is required, or a minimum score of 380 on the Paper Based Test or 3.5 on the IELTS exam is required. The test must have been taken within one year immediately preceding the requested semester of admission. To obtain information on taking the test, visit the following website The designated Institution code for Union County College is 00264300
  • Applicants currently in the United States may take the Union County College’s free ESL placement test administered on campus. All admitted students who have achieved the required TOEFL score may be required to complete the College’s ESL placement test after arriving on campus and before they enroll in their first semester at Union County College

Please email the International Student advisor at to receive the I-20 application Form.

Students In the U.S. Under A Status Other Than F-1:

If you are in, or plan to enter the United States in another non-immigrant status, you may or may not need to obtain F-1 status in order to study at Union County College. However, many non-immigrant statuses carry immigration restrictions on study and employment that may make it desirable to seek F-1 status. Contact the international student advisor at to determine eligibility for a change of status or with specific questions about your individual situation.

Application Deadlines:

  • Fall Term is June 1
  • Spring Term is November 1

For additional information regarding the admissions process, you must contact the Admissions office at or access our virtual Student Services, Monday-Friday from 10 am - 4 pm.

Application for admission and all required documentation outlined in the student packet must be submitted in its entirety, by the application deadline. Students currently in the United States with an I-20 from another U.S. institution who wish to attend Union County College must follow the same admissions procedure and will be required in addition to provide:

  • Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended.

No decision will be made until all documents are submitted to the international advisor.

Veterans Applicants

Union County College celebrates Veterans and encourages admissions and enrollment. Union County College participates with the VA provisions of the Federal Laws which entitle veterans to educational benefits. The requirements and services provided for the various programs can be reviewed through the VA website To be certified for VA educational assistance, students must apply to the College, matriculate in an eligible degree or certificate program and apply for veteran benefits; proof of VA benefits and documents may be required. Veterans must check in with the Admissions office located on all campuses before registering for classes to ensure all requirements are met.

VA Pending Payment Provision

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Ch. 33) or Veterans Readiness and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA. This school will not:

  • Prevent the students enrollment
  • Assess a late penalty fee to
  • Require student secure alternative or additional funding
  • Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Provide Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility (or its equivalent) or for Chapter 31, VA VR&E’s contract with the school on VA Form 28-1905 by the first day of class.

Note: Chapter 33 students can register at the VA Regional Office to use E-Benefits to get the equivalent of a Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility. Chapter 31 student cannot get a completed VA Form 28-1905 (or any equivalent) before the VA VR&E case-manager issues it to the school.

  • Provide written request to be certified via the Veteran’s Enrollment Certificate
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies

Bridge Program - Dual Enrollment

High school juniors and seniors may apply for the Bridge Program to earn college credits while still in high school. Permission of their high school advisor and parent/guardian is required. Bridge applicants must have a ‘B’ high school average.

If needed, students will take the Directed Self-Placement (DSP) Questionnaire, or have passing cutoff scores for the SAT or ACT (see Testing and Placement) to be exempt from taking the mathematics and/or English portions of the DSP. Bridge applicants must place out of all developmental courses to be eligible for registration. Bridge Program applications are available in the high school guidance offices or the Recruitment and Admissions, Records, and Registration Offices on any campus. Students will be required to submit a Union County College application for admission with the completed Bridge Form. Acceptance will be based on the results from the DSP Questionnaire SAT, or ACT scores, and submission of required documents.

Dual/Joint Admissions Agreements

Union County College students who complete their associate degrees in designated programs and who fulfill all the necessary criteria of the dual admission program will be guaranteed admission as juniors to their choice of several undergraduate colleges/universities with which Union County College has agreements. For more detailed information, see Dual Admissions Agreements , page 46.

Advanced Degrees/College Graduates

Applicants holding advanced degrees may be required to have an official transcript emailed to or mailed to the Union County College Admissions Office, Cranford Campus. Transfer Credit reviews may require an appointment during times of heavy registration. All transfer students must have an official transcript at the time of their review.

Students producing evidence of earning advanced degrees from accredited U.S. or international institutions may be considered for Directed Self-Placement exemption or transfer credit evaluation if requested. Applicants holding degrees equivalent to or at advanced levels from those offered at Union County College will be reviewed under the same criteria. Students may not matriculate in the same program for which they currently hold an approved degree.

Admission to Health Science Programs

1. Admission to the Health Science programs requires additional selection criteria and may include an admission exam. Health Science programs include: Practical Nursing, Physical Therapist Assistant, Paramedic Emergency Health Science, Respiratory Care, JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools of Nursing and Medical Imaging, and Trinitas School of Nursing/RWJBH.

2. Health Science programs require a passing score on the admission exam.

3. Students in Health Science programs are required to attend an orientation session.

4. Distinct grading policies exist in the Health Science programs which differ from other College courses and programs. Specific information may be found in course syllabi and/or handouts.

5. Health Science policies may supersede College policies.

6. Clinical agencies require that students complete criminal background checks before entrance into the clinical portion of the Health Science programs. These background checks are completed by an outside vendor and the results will be shared with the school and the clinical agencies. It is the sole discretion of clinical agency personnel to determine if students are able to provide patient care, based upon the results of the criminal background check. Students who are denied clinical placements will be dismissed from the applicable Health Science program.

7. Clinical agencies also require that students have medical clearance. Students will be informed regarding the specifics of the physical examination, laboratory testing and vaccinations that are to be completed by a physician or nurse practitioner.

8. CPR for the Health Care Provider and individual malpractice insurance coverage may be required for clinical patient care experiences. Further information will be provided during program orientations.

Special Admissions Programs

  • Advanced and Continuous Studies, A.A.S. Degree
  • JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder School of Nursing, A.S. Degree
  • Trinitas School of Nursing/RWJBH, A.S. Degree
  • Paralegal Studies, Certificate of Achievement
  • Paramedic Emergency Health Science, A.A.S. Degree
  • Physical Therapist Assistant, A.A.S. Degree
  • Practical Nursing, Certificate
  • Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Treatment, A.S. Degree
  • JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder School of Radiography, A.S. Degree
  • Respiratory Care, A.A.S. Degree
  • JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder School of Diagnostic Medical Sonography, A.S. Degree

Readmission with Good Standing

A student who has withdrawn from Union County College in good standing and has left for a period of at least two consecutive semesters and seeks reinstatement need only to complete an application form. Students who withdraw and intend to re-register for the following semester need only fill out a registration form. When a student returns to Union County College under the readmission category, the student must adhere to the program requirements in effect at the time of readmission.


Registration, the process by which an admitted student enrolls and completes payment for their tuition and fees, must be done each semester/session. The registered student receives or may acquire a class schedule and a paid receipt which will verify enrollment in the requested classes.

New freshmen and current students who enroll have access to a member of the advising staff to assist in the scheduling and completion of the registration form. The advisor will assist the student with identifying the approved requirements of their program/major and assist students in the choice of electives.

The process is followed each term thereafter, students submit their registrations for the next semester in accordance with Union County College registration instructions. Online registration is available to most students and we recommend students take advantage of Self Service. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of the registration, withdrawal refund policy, etc. and have knowledge of graduation requirements of his or her program, to select the correct courses, to accumulate the required number of credits, and to avoid duplication of subjects. A full-time student may carry a minimum of 12 credit hours. Students requesting registration for over 18 credit hours must see an academic advisor for approval. Students registering for over 21 credits must obtain approval from the appropriate Division Dean.

Candidates may register at Union County College as full-time students (12 or more credit hours) or as half-time (6-11 credit hours) or as less than half-time or part-time students (1-5 credit hours) each semester/session. Classes are available days, evenings, and weekends.

A current student who wishes to change his/her curriculum must meet all requirements on the Program Change Form available at The student must complete the Program Change Form and send it to their academic advisor for review. New students wanting to matriculate (declare a major), and who have not done so at time of application submission must see an academic advisor.

Students who, after having registered, decide not to attend before the beginning of the ensuing semester may drop courses through Self Service, or meet with an advisor to complete a drop/add form. All forms must be submitted to the Student Services Center on any of the campuses to be officially processed. Students dropping all courses, with no intentions of returning the following semester, must return any items that belong to the College (such as a current Union County College identification card), to the Student Services Center. Tuition refunds will be processed through the Student Services Center, if applicable.

JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools of Nursing and Medical Imaging students must consult with their school’s advisor for registration and schedule changes. Registration, drop/add, and withdrawals for all courses must take place through the JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools of Nursing and Medical Imaging registration office. Practical Nursing and Allied Health students will receive specific information on the policies and procedures for registration, class schedule changes, and withdrawals. Union County College/Rutgers SHRP students must meet with an admissions officer or advisor to discuss pre-requisite courses required for the program. Acceptance is based on approval by the Rutgers SHRP admission committee.

Students who have not settled financial obligations incurred at the College will be prohibited from registering or receiving transcripts or final grades until outstanding debts are paid. There may be a fee incurred for switching sections.

The College reserves the right to cancel any course where there is insufficient enrollment. Visit our website

Classification of Students

Matriculated Students - Students who are accepted in a specific program of study for degree or certificate credit on a full-time or part-time basis are matriculated students. Official high school and college transcripts may be required. Full and part-time students who have selected their program of study as undecided will change their program to a college program after completing no more than twelve degree credits or have their program changed by the College to Liberal Studies.

Non-Matriculated Students - Students who are not accepted in a specific program or who do not wish to declare a program are nonmatriculated. Credits earned as a non-matriculated student may be applied toward a future degree or certificate if they apply.

To be eligible for financial aid, students must be matriculated.

Class Standing

Students with less than 30 credits are considered in freshman (FR) standing; students with 30 credits or more are considered to be in sophomore (SO) standing.

Program Change Requests

The Program Change Process is completed in a Student Services Center. Students in good academic standing may apply to change their program of study after they have completed at least one semester at Union County College. Students must complete the Program Change Form, available at, and send it to their academic advisor for review. 

Students requesting a change in their major to an allied health program may be required to fulfill additional requirements.

New students wanting to matriculate (declare a major), but did not do so at time of application submission must see an academic advisor.

Schedule Changes

Limitations on section size make it impossible for every student to arrange a schedule which will meet his/her personal convenience in every instance. The student’s academic obligations must take precedence over his/her personal commitments, including employment. Students may drop a scheduled class(es) within the published registration dates posted on Self Service.

Students who are in the American Honors Program, Educational Opportunity Fund Program (EOF), Health Programs, JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools of Nursing and Medical Imaging, Trinitas School of Nursing/RWJBH, and Rutgers SHRP will meet with and do all registrations through the program advisor.