Welcome to Union County College Workforce Development and Career Education Programs! Our offerings include exciting continuing education, business solutions, professional development and personal enrichment programs. Whether you are exploring a new career, improving your workplace skills or looking to learn something new, Union County College has the program for you. Workforce development grant opportunities are also available. Classes are scheduled at times convenient for you – daytime, evenings and online. Programming includes youth programs, art, business, computers and technology, fitness, healthcare, languages and science.
The Department provides professional development and personal enrichment opportunities for individuals who live or work in Union County and beyond. Special programs are also available for senior citizens including the Union County Board of Commissioners’ Senior Scholars program.
Committed to the concept of lifelong learning, the Department conveniently schedules non-credit courses in the evenings, weekends, and during daytime hours. Programs are offered in-person, hybrid and remote live formats and are held at multiple campuses. In addition, courses are offered on-line through our partnership with Ed2Go at www.ed2go.com/ucc/ and www.careertraining.ed2go.com/ucc and UGotClass http://www.yougotclass.org/index.cfm/Ucc.
Currently, among the Continuing Education Department offerings are non-credit certificate programs in Real Estate Sales, Bloomberg Market Concepts, Certified Pharmacy Technician, Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential, Human Resource Management as a university partner with American Management Association (AMA), Uniform Construction Code, and Medical Billing and Coding Professional. Industry-recognized certificate programs are also available for Certified Bookkeeper, CISCO Certified Networking Associate (CCNA), Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification, Personal Trainer National Certification, Patient Care Technician, Certified Phlebotomy Technician, Certified EKG Technician, CompTIA A+ Hardware and Software and Network +, Facility Management Professional, and Supply Chain Management (CSCMP) Certification.
During the spring, summer and fall, youth programs are offered virtually. Continuing Education also operates as a Cisco Networking Academy in Cranford and Plainfield. We provide extensive preparation for the CISCO Certified Networking Associate (CCNA) designation.
For further information, email, or call the Continuing Education Department at Union County College at firstname.lastname@example.org or (908) 709-7600.
The Industry-Business Institute (IBI) at Union County College works with employer clients to help build a skilled workforce by providing workplace-specific, customized education and training programs to develop employees.
Programs are designed for maximum effectiveness and to help organizations improve productivity, quality, cost effectiveness, and morale. Professional instructors with expertise in relevant industries deliver the programs. Training is delivered on-site, on-campus or remote live, and scheduled at times that will fit office or production schedules. Training is available on a fee-for-service basis and through local and state grant opportunities. IBI provides many types of workforce development programs due to our wide network of industry professionals and instructors. Topics include, but not are limited to:
- Customer Service
- MS Office Computer Skills
- Cultural Diversity and Harassment Prevention Awareness
- Management, Team Building, Problem Solving and Supervisory Skills
- Communication and Personal Effectiveness Skills
- Workplace Literacy/Basic Skills
- Safety Procedures
- Supply Chain Management/Transportation, Logistics, and Distribution
- Time Management
- Conflict Resolution
- English as a Second Language
For more information, please contact Union County College, Industry-Business Institute, 40 West Jersey Street, 5th Floor, Elizabeth, NJ 07202, (908) 965-2359.
Center for Economic and Workforce Development
The Center for Economic and Workforce Development (CEWD) provides training and support services to help the unemployed and the underemployed to be better positioned to enter and compete in today’s workforce as well as develop lifelong learning skills.
The Center offers a wide variety of programs and courses to over 1,000 adults each year. The Center model includes standardized assessment, student support services, occupation-related basic skills instruction, occupational training, and job placement services. In keeping Union County College’s commitment to provide access to education for all, CEWD instruction is scheduled during the evenings, weekends and daytime hours so that adults can choose a schedule most convenient for themselves and their lifestyles. The Center for Economic and Workforce Development services are located on both the Elizabeth and Plainfield campuses which are equipped with state-of-the-are computer labs and offer full service operations to all CEWD students.
CEWD offers the following programs:
- ABLE PLUS GRANT: This WIOA Title II program offers career pathway ESL, Integrated ESL and Civics Education, Adult Basic Skill development and High School Diploma (HSD) preparation to eligible residents. These educational programs are funded through the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
- WorkFirst New Jersey “To-Work” / Community Work Experience Program: This program provides eligible WFNJ participants the opportunity to develop skills that will enable them to find and maintain employment. Participants are placed on a non-profit/community-based organization site to practice and hone their employability skills. This program must be combined with Basic Skills, GED or ESL classes.
- English-as-a-Second Language: The Center offers individuals who need to develop their English proficiency to levels where they will be able to meet the requirements for the Institute for Intensive English (IIE). The two beginning levels of English as a Second Language (ESL) support the development of English proficiency skills and move students from the lowest levels of English to levels 3 to 6 of the Institute for Intensive English. These courses are designed to provide levels 1 and 2 English proficient students with 135 hours of intensive instruction that focus on the fundamentals of the English Language with an emphasis on speaking, comprehension, and writing. In conjunction with each classroom lesson, there is an opportunity for students to review and reinforce the concepts presented through the use of ESL software available in the state-of-the-art computer labs. Upon completion of the final course of the Level 2 program, instructor recommendations, post-test scores, and the course final grade will determine if students advance to the IIE Level 3 credit program.
- Occupational Training: The Center provides occupational training programs that lead to industry credentials for in-demand occupations such as:
- Administrative Assistant
- Accounting Technician / Customer Service for Finance Operations
- Patient Care Technician
- Essentials of Supply Chain Management
These programs are offered to certified eligible participants from the American Job Center (i.e., WIOA, TRA, DVRS and WDP participants) or to individuals who wish to pay. Industry-valued credentials will be earned through these programs.
For more information on the Center for Economic and Workforce Development programs call 908-659-5114 or email CEWD-Recruiting with inquires: CEWD-Recruiting@ucc.edu
In conjunction with an experienced administrative, support staff and qualified instructors, the Center has an active Job Development team who work with local employers to identify qualified candidates and our students in seeking and obtaining employment with these employers. As a Union County One Stop Career Center partner, the Center regularly supports the County’s Social Service Agencies with activities geared to increasing the productivity and employability of the agencies’ participants and Union County residents. Additionally, the College, through the Center for Economic and Workforce Development, Continuing Education and Industry-Business Institute departments, supports the implementation of the Workforce Innovation Business Center initiative, an American Job Center Affiliate Career Services Center, through the Union County Workforce Development Board.