JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools of Nursing and Medical Imaging
By virtue of an agreement between Union County College and JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools of Nursing and Medical Imaging, Plainfield, NJ, Union County College confers a degree of Associate in Science upon graduates of the Hospital-Sponsored school who have fulfilled the requirements for the degree specified by Union County College.
Students in the program earn college credits in English, mathematics, biology, physics, social sciences and humanities electives in classes and laboratories conducted at Union County College. Diagnostic Medical Sonography courses are the primary responsibility of the program. Students must apply to Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools for admission to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program. Candidates must be high school graduates and must have had high school biology and algebra.
Prior to enrolling in this program, you must apply to the JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools of Nursing and Medical Imaging for acceptance.
The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) with the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS) accredits JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools of Nursing and Medical Imaging Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program (Program Number 110144).
Students are enrolled in the Schools of Diagnostic Medical Sonography and are matriculated by Union County College. They are eligible to participate in all student activates at Union County College and have the same rights and privileges as all other college students.
Admission to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program
Admission is selective and competitive. Individuals must apply during the Open Admissions dates. Interested individuals should visit the Schools’ website www.jfkmuhlenbergschools.org for information about the Schools and required policies and procedures.
Application for admission consideration for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program requires the following:
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher in relevant courses.
- TEAS Entrance Exam scores of 58% or higher in Math and Reading.
- General education courses not need to be taken prior to applying to the JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools of Nursing and Medical Imaging. However, successful completion of some general education courses are required prior to starting the professional Diagnostic Sonography Imaging course in the Spring semester.
- One may transfer up to 36 comparable credits (40 for those with a bachelor’s degree), into the program, no grade lower than C is considered for transfer. All professional courses must be passed with a C+ or better.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates of the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program will be able to:
- Obtain, review, and integrate pertinent patient history and supporting clinical data to facilitate optimum diagnostic results;
- Perform appropriate procedures and record anatomic, pathologic, and/or physiologic data for interpretation by a physician;
- Record, analyze, and process diagnostic data and other pertinent observations made during the procedure for presentation to the interpreting physician;
- Exercise discretion and judgment in the performance of sonographic and/or other diagnostic services;
- Demonstrate appropriate communication skills with patients and colleagues;
- Act in a professional and ethical manner;
- Provide patient education related to medical ultrasound and/or other diagnostic techniques, and promote principles of good health.
After Union County College and JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools of Nursing and Medical Imaging
Upon completion graduates are eligible to sit for the credentialing examinations of the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) and the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS).
Graduates will also be prepared to advance to a Bachelor’s Degree and will be counseled on an individual basis regarding this intention.